Pages

Tuesday 24 December 2019

Week 1 Day 5 - SLJ 2019

Activity 1: National Treasure [4 points]
For this activity, we would like to learn more about the things that are important to you.

On your blog, please share three things that you treasure and say why they are treasures to you.
The first thing that is important to me is my family. I live with my mum, grandparents and my brother and sister. Why is my family the first thing that is important to me? My family mean everything to me because, they raised me and looked after me while I was young and they still do. I love my family with all my heart even though I might not show it. 
The second thing that is important to me is education. Education is very important to me because in order to get into a good college I have to focus on my learning especially because 2020 is my last year at Pt England School. Summer Learning Journey is good for me to do in the holidays because it also helps my learning go up. 

Last but not least sports, I play a lot of sport for school and for clubs. Sports is another thing that can help you get into a good college. I like to focus on sport as much as I do on education and learning. I've played over 5 sports this year, and have been to more than 10 tournaments this year as well. My family encourage me a lot to do sport to keep me fit and healthy. 

Activity 2: Swimming to Safety [4 points]
For this activity, listen to the podcast of Yusra Mardini, or read her story on her personal website.

On your blog, retell the story of this amazing young woman from Syria.
Yusra and elder her sister fled from a major war in Syria their home. They set off on a journey they would never forget leaving behind everything and anyone they call family. They traveled through Lebanon to Turkey before departing for Greece in an dinghy full of people.
Fifteen to twenty minutes into the sea the boats engine started failing until it was no longer working. Since Yusra was a good swimmer she knew she couldn't let anybody aboard the boat die. So Yusra, her sister and two others jumped into the freezing cold water. They swam for three and a half hours, non stop just to save 16 people including themselves. 

A year later Yusra's courage and swimming skills got recognized by the International Olympic Committee. Soon she became became a member of the Refugee Olympic  Swim Team. Yusra competed in the Olympic games in Rio 2016, helping represent 65 million people worldwide.

Yusra now lives in Berlin with her family, while Germany works on her professional swimming career.  She aims to compete in the next Olympic games in Tokyo in 2020.  Yusra is an ambassador for UNCHR, which stands for UN Refugee Agency. Her message of hope, determination and courage reminds us that those who flee their countries are capable of achieving great things.

Activity 3: Own Choice [6 points]
For this activity, please choose one person (a changemaker) and read all about them.
On your blog, provide us with:
  1. The name of the person
  2. A description of the work they do/have done
  3. An explanation of how they/their work has had an impact on the lives of others

William Adams known professionally as will.i.am, is an American rapper, singer, songwriter, record producer, DJ, actor and television personality. He is the founding and lead member of the hip hop group The Black Eyed Peas. Why did I choose will.i.am? A few years ago will.i.am visited Pt England School, he talked about what our futures should look like and that learning is important  and that we should stay focused at school. But there was something will.i.am did that will never be forgotten, he donated one hundred thousand dollars to our school. The money went towards things we needed like school supplies, new Chromebooks and much more.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------                   Fun Fact: The hottest chili pepper in the world is so hot it could kill you

2 comments:

  1. Hi Madison, this is Mrs Collins from Manaiakalani and I'll be commenting on blogs over term break. Well done on posting and participating in the SLJ this year. I really like the blog posts and narratives you shared, especially the one about your TREASURES... If you could only pick one, which would it be and why? Keep blogging, and commenting on others, to increase your chance of winning one of the awesome prizes and to keep up your learning over the school break!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Maddie!
    Well done on completing another day of SLJ your such a fast person! My favourtive activty had to be the 3 things you treasure ! Keep up the hard work and keep going!
    Kind Regards ,
    Lilly

    ReplyDelete